<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, November 28, 2004

Cambodia 

We made it. The plane flight was just fine. Nice actually, and I slept briefly which was nice.

Customs were no a problem, and more stamps have been added to the passport. It's hot and humid, and traffic was horrendous getting into town (Siem Reap).

Our taxi driver: born in '74. His father was taken and killed (Khmer Rouge) when he (the driver) was 4. Soon after he was sent to a boarding school and after high school was drafted into the military. Had to serve. When the civil war was over, he came back here (he'd been in Phnom Pen) and has been studying english, japanese, and thai. Very impressive. I think we're going to hear a lot of stories like that here. Fresh wounds. We may end up staying here longer than planned.

There is a flyer in our hotel lobby (we are changing loc's tomorrow. We'll be paying $8 a night for the 3 of us) from smoe Aussie group wanting people to teach computer stuff here. My sis is trying to find me some short teaching stuff in China so I can earn some cash, and maybe that'll provide me the 'experience' they are wanting here. Could be very interesting.

It's hotter than hell though.

Bought 4 new books this morning. I found the best ever bookstore in Bangkok and ran around jittery and giggling before settling on only 4. But there were so many! I had started Ulysses, but I think I will read my Camus and Vonnegut first (thinner, so I can send a box home). My pack, though half the size of R's, weighs a couple kilos more. Oops.

Ok, since I seem to be coming down with a cold (son of a...in 95 degree heat?) and we are getting out of here by 5:20AM to see sunrise at Angkor Wat, I am off to beddy by. Peace out

p.s.-internet here is way cheaper (and all over the place) than we thought it'd be, so I will be able to continue blogging. I think

Had awesome curry for dinner

Pllbbttsst

Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

ABOUT ME
Name: Corey
Location: Portland, Oregon, United States

I'm on a journey with no destination. The path is constantly changing direction but there are always adventures to be had. "Never" and "always" have left my lexicon.

Google
WWW http:/www.jimspeak.blogspot.com